Both Furze Infants and Warren Junior have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and are supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school. All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with a Special Educational Need(s) and or disabilities being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible, where families want this to happen.




School based information


Summary of responsibilities

Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning/ Special Educational  Needs/Disability (SEND)?

And how can I talk to them about my child if I need to?

Class Teacher



















The SENCo/SENCo Support

He/ She is responsible for:

·         Ensuring that all children have access to good/outstanding teaching and that the curriculum is adapted to meet your child’s individual needs (also known as differentiation).

·         Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support, adapting resources etc..) and  discussing amendments with the SENCo  as necessary.

·         Ensuring that all members of staff working with your child in school are aware of your child’s individual needs and/or conditions and what specific adjustments need to be made to enable them to be included and make progress.

·         Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are supported in delivering the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.

·         Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.


He/ She is responsible for:

·         Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs (SEN) and or disabilities, and developing the school’s SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.

·         Ensuring that you are:

·         involved in supporting your child’s learning

·         kept informed about the support your child is getting

·         involved in reviewing how they are doing

·         part of planning ahead for them.

·         Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s





















Teaching Assistant (TA) & Special Support Assistants (SSA)















SEND Governor

learning e.g. The Speech and Language Therapy Service, The Educational Psychologist.

·         Updating the school’s SEND record of need, (a system for ensuring all the special educational, physical and sensory needs of pupils in this school are known and understood) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs.

·         To provide specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help your child (and other pupils with SEN and/or disabilities in the school) to achieve their potential.

·         Supporting your child’s class teacher to write Individual Education Plans

·         Organising training for staff so they are aware and confident about how to meet the needs of your child and others within our school.


A Teaching Assistant (TA) or Special Support Assistant (SSA) may be allocated to a pupil with special educational needs and/or disabilities and whilst they take a very valuable role in your child’s education we would prefer that questions regarding your child’s learning and progress are directed in the first instance to the staff members named above.

Of course, as a school we welcome daily dialogue between parents and TA’s/SSA’s on how a child’s day has been and we do actively encourage this continued feedback.


He/ She is responsible for:

·         The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEN and/or disabilities. He/ She will give responsibility to the Inclusion Manager/SENCo and class teachers but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.

·         He/ She must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND.


He/ She is responsible for:

·         Making sure that the school has an up to date SEND Policy.

·         Making sure that the school has appropriate provision and has made necessary adaptations to meet the needs of all children in the school.

·         Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEN and/or disabilities.

·         Making visits to understand and monitor the support given to children with SEND in the school and being part of the process to ensure your child achieves his/her potential in school.




Children in school will get support that is specific to their individual needs. This may be all provided by the class teacher or may involve:

  • Other staff in the school
    • Staff who will visit the school from the Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need)


  • Staff who visit from outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT)



Types of support provided - also showing the stage of the Code of Practice children will be at when receiving this input.

What would this mean for your child?

Who can get this kind of support?


What are the different types of support available for children with SEN and

/or disabilities in this school?


Class teacher input via good/outstanding  classroom teaching.


·         The teacher will have the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.

·         All teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.

·         Putting in place different ways of teaching so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning or providing different resources adapted for your child.

·         Putting in place specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCo or staff from outside agencies) to enable  your  child  to access the learning task.


All children in school receive this.

Specific small group work.

This group may be

·         Run in the classroom or outside.

·         Run by a teacher or (most often) a Teaching Assistant who has had training to run these groups.


These are often called Intervention groups by schools.

(Stage of SEND Code of Practice: SEN Support. This means they have been identified by the class teacher as needing some extra support in school.)

·         Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gap in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to close the gap between your child and their peers.

·         He/ She will plan group sessions for your child with targets to help your child to make more progress.

·         A TA, SSA, or teacher (or outside professional (like a Speech and Language Therapist)) will run these small group sessions using the teacher’s plans, or a recommended programme.

Any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area                       of learning.


Some of the children accessing intervention groups may be at

the stage of the SEND Code of Practice called School   Action, which means they have been identified by the class teacher as needing some extra support in school.

Specialist groups run by

·         If your child has been identified as needing more specialist input

Children with specific




outside agencies e.g. Speech and Language therapy OR Occupational Therapy groups


AND/OR    Individual  support for your child of 20 hours and below in school


Stage of SEN Code of Practice: SEN Support. This means they have been identified by the class

teacher/SENCO and may need some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

·         Local Authority central services such as Educational Psychology service.

·         Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service.

instead of or in addition to good and outstanding class room teaching and intervention groups, referrals will be made to outside agencies to advise and support the school in enabling your child to make progress.

·         Before referrals are made you will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.

·         If it is agreed that the support of an outside agency is a way forward, you will be asked to give your permission for the school  to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better.

·         The specialist professional will work with your  child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:

·         Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better

·         Support to set targets which will include their specific professional expertise

·         Your child’s involvement in a group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g a social skills group or sensory circuit

·         A group or individual work with outside professional

·         The school may suggest that your child needs some agreed individual support or group support in school. They will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place.

barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through whole class good/outstanding teaching and intervention groups.

Specified Individual support





This is usually provided via a Statement  of  Special Educational Needs or an Education,  Health  and  Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher/Inclusion Manager as needing a particularly high

·         The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process and you can find more details about this in the Local Authority (LA) based Local Offer, on the LBBF website: SEN

·         After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do

Children whose learning needs are:

·         Severe, complex and lifelong




level of individual and small group teaching, which cannot be provided from the resources already delegated to the school.


Usually, if your child requires this high level of support they may also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

·         Local Authority inclusion advisers

·         Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service, Occupational therapy service, Physiotherapy and/or CAMHS

not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the support at SEN support.

·         After the reports have all been sent in the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe and needs more support in school to make good progress. If this is the case they will write a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an EHC  Plan. If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the support at SEN support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes  as much progress as possible.

·         The Statement or EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.

·         The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.



How will we support your child with identified special needs when starting school?


·         We may first invite you to visit the school with your child to have a look around and speak to staff.

·         We may suggest adaptations to the settling in period to help your child to settle more easily.


How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?


·         If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s class teacher/key worker initially.

·         If you are not happy that the concerns are being managed and that your child is still not making progress you should speak to the SENCo or Head of School.


How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?


·         When a teacher or a parent has raised concerns about your child’s progress, and targeted teaching has not met the child’s needs, the teacher will raise this with the SENCo.

·         Both schools also have meetings every term between each class teacher and a senior staff member in the school to ensure all children are making good progress. This is another way your child may be identified as not making as much progress as expected.

·         If your child is then identified as not making progress the school will make a decision about whether to monitor this or set up an intervention group and will inform you.




·         If your child is still not making expected progress the school will discuss with you:

o    any concerns you may have

o    any further interventions or referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning

o    how school and home can work together, to support your child..

How is extra support allocated to children and how do they move between the different levels?

·         The school budget includes money for supporting children with SEN.

·         The Headteacher decides on the budget for Special Educational Needs in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of the needs of the children currently in the school.

·         The Headteacher, Head of School and the SENCo discuss all the information they have about SEN in the school, including:

o    the  children getting extra support already

o    the children needing extra support

o    the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected.

They then decide what resources/training and support is needed.

·         All resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed.



Who are the other people providing services to children with SEN in this school?


A.   Directly funded by the school


·         Onsite CAMHS therapist

·         Pastoral and Behaviour Manager

·         Attendance Officer

·         Parent Support Adviser

·         Social Skills Group lead

·         Additional Speech and Language Therapy input to provide a higher level of service to the school

·         Additional Educational Psychology input to provide a higher level of service to the school

·         Additional Educational Psychology Service


B.   Paid for centrally by the Local Authority but delivered in school


·         Educational Psychology Service

·         Speech and Language Therapy (provided by Health but paid for by the Local Authority).

·         Occupational  Therapy

·         Physiotherapy

·         Professional training for school staff to deliver medical interventions

·         Parent in Partnership Service (to support families through the SEN processes and procedures).





C.   Provided and paid for by the Health Service (Oxleas NHS Trust)  but delivered in school


·         School Nurse

·         Children and Adolescents Mental Health Team (CAMHS)


How are the adults in school helped to work with children with a SEND and what training do they have?

·         The SENCo’s job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEN.

·         The school has a school development plan, including identified training needs for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEND. This may include whole school training on SEND issues or to support identified groups of learners in school, such as ASD.

·         Whole staff training to disseminate knowledge, strategies and experience, to ensure consistency of the school’s approach for children with a SEND.

·         Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children.


How will the teaching be adapted for my child with learning needs (SEN/ and or disabilities)

·         Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that learning tasks are adjusted in order to enable your child to access their learning as independently as possible.

·         Specially trained support staff can implement the teachers modified/adapted planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.

·         Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.

·         Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning needs and increase your child’s access to what is on offer.


How will we measure the progress of your child in school? And how will I know about this?

·         Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher.

·         His/her progress is reviewed formally every term and a National Curriculum level given in Reading, Writing, Maths and Science as well as progress in other areas, as appropriate, such as attendance, engagement in learning and behaviour.

·         If your child is in Year 1 and above, but is not yet at National Curriculum levels, a more sensitive assessment tool is used which shows their level in more detail and will also show  smaller but significant steps of progress.  The levels are called ‘P levels’.

·         At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6) all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and are the results that are published nationally.

·         The progress of children with a statement of SEN/ EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.

·         The Inclusion Manager will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.

·         A range of ways will be used to keep you informed, which may include:

o    Home/school book

o    Letters/certificates sent home  o     Additional meetings as required o   Reports







What support do we have for you as a parent of child with an SEN/and or disabilities?

·         We would like you to talk to your child’s class teacher regularly so we know what they are doing at home and we can tell you about what we are doing in school. This is to ensure that we are doing similar things to support them both at home and school and can share what is working in both places.

·         The SENCo is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.

·         All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report. The Inclusion Manager will also arrange to meet with you to discuss any new assessments and ideas suggested by outside agencies for your child.

·         A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.

·         If your child is undergoing statutory assessment you will also be supported by the Children’s Services Inclusion advisers.  They will ensure that you fully understand the process.


How have we made this school physically accessible to children with SEND?


·         The school is accessible to children with physical disability via ramps.

·         We ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.









Individual Education Plan


Individual Education Plan


Statement stage of the SEN Code of Practice


School Action stage of the SEN Code of Practice


School Action Plus stage of the SEN Code of Practice


Special Educational Needs

SEN Code of Practice

The legal document that sets out the requirements for SEN

EHC plan

Education, Health, Care Plan


Special Educational Needs


Special Educational Needs and or disabilities


Speech and Language Therapist


Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service


Educational  Psychologist


Special Educational Needs Coordinator

 Updated September 2018