Our School - A Community Infant's School (co-educational day school)
Executive Head Teacher - Mr G Wilder OBE
Deputy Executive Head Teacher - Mrs M Pryor
Head of School - Mrs J Barrett
To find out if the school is open please click on the link below
On 1st September 2010 Furze Infants’ School and Warren Junior School became a Hard Federation, two separate schools overseen by one Governing Body. This provided both schools with a greater level of resource in supporting the pupils.
Furze Infants' School is situated in the northern part of the Borough. It serves those children living in the area to the south of the A12 and north of the British Rail line. Children normally transfer from the school to Warren Junior School which is about half a mile away. At present the school roll is 364 full-time, plus 104 part-time pupils in the Nursery. There are 13 Infant classes and a Nursery Unit. The children are grouped according to age on a mixed ability basis. There is also a Children’s Centre on site which is under separate management.
There is a co-operative team approach to all the school activities with an expectation that parents, staff and all who come into contact with the school will share in the experience of fostering the children’s educational needs. All our staff have a commitment to the effective inclusion of children with a wide range of educational needs. The ethos of the school is reflected in a lively enthusiasm for learning in a well-ordered and informal atmosphere.
Staffing and Organisation
Our teaching staff comprises an Executive Headteacher, Deputy Executive Headteacher, Head of School, Assistant Headteacher, qualified teachers, nursery nurses, teaching assistants, special support assistants, an Office Manager (administration), a Finance Officer, a Junior Administrative Officer and a Caretaker.
The teacher for each class is responsible for the children’s learning and is aware of the need to cater for individual children. A variety of teaching strategies are employed, including whole class teaching, group work and work planned on a one to one basis. At times children may be working with other teachers and in other parts of the school. The teachers are assisted by support staff who work with the children in a variety of ways. We also have two PE Specialists who visit the school to work with the children. Supply teachers may also be employed to cover classes when teachers are on training courses or absent through illness. It is important that our teachers go on courses for their own professional development and to keep ‘up-to-date’ as this benefits the children’s education. Open Evenings are held each term. During these consultations, teachers can advise parents on how to help their children at home, thus ensuring that parents and teachers work together for the benefit of the children.
Our website address is http://furzeinfants.schooljotter2.com which is full of useful information and links. Please visit the site to see what it has to offer. If you have any comments or suggestions regarding the website please contact us at the following Email address:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our school day
Our school day is organised as follows (doors open at 8.45am for full time pupils):
Years 1 and 2.
Morning - 8.45 a.m. - 12.05 p.m.
Afternoon - 1.00 p.m. - 2.45 p.m.
Morning - 8.45 a.m. - 11.15 a.m.
Afternoon - 12.10 p.m. - 2.45 p.m.
Morning - 8.30 a.m. - 11.30 a.m.
Afternoon - 12.30 p.m. - 3.30 p.m.
See ‘The Nursery Unit’ section for details
21 hours and 40 minutes are spent on teaching during the normal school week, including religious education, but excluding the statutory daily act of collective worship, registration and breaks (including lunch).
Our school starts at 8.55am for all full-time pupils. Children should be brought to school by parent or carers at 8.45am to the appropriate waiting area/door for their child’s class (either via the playground or via the grass area in front of the school hall) and then must be handed over to the member/s of staff on duty for each class. We ask parents/carers to ensure that their children arrive at least 10 minutes before the bell (8.55am) so that they are ready to come into school when it opens at 8.45am. It is important for children to arrive at school in a calm and happy frame of mind and that valuable teaching time is not interrupted by latecomers.
NB: All full-time pupils are allowed access to their classrooms from 8.45am which should ensure that no child is ever late.
Our school closes at 2.45pm. Children become very worried and distressed if they are not collected on time, so we ask parents to try and ensure that they arrive in time to collect their children when school closes. Please support us in this matter. Children who are consistently collected late will be considered as ‘causes for concern’ and the school may need to highlight that they are being neglected by their carers. We keep a ‘Late register’ in the school office for parents to sign and write a reason for any late attendance or collection. This register is monitored by the Head of School and the Local Authority Attendance Officer.
We use online registration at Furze Infants. The teachers have a set time slot to take the morning and afternoon registers on class computers and the data is then submitted to the school office. It is very important that the children are in class on time and ready for online registration to take place. Punctuality and regular attendance is a high priority at Furze Infants’ School.
Parents are legally responsible for ensuring that their children attend school regularly and on time and are collected on time.
The History of The Windmill Logo.
Parents often ask us why we have Three Windmills on our school logo.
We wanted the emblem to reflect an aspect of the history of this area and discovered that there were three Post Mills in a group in Chadwell Heath. These were located in the area now occupied by the junctions of Edward and Alexandra Roads with Mayfair Avenue, close to the eastern entrance to St Chad's Park.
According to Shawcross in 'A History of Dagenham' there was only one mill in 1770 but in early 1785 the copyhold estate comprised two 'newly erected substantial windmills'.
Two windmills are shown on the first Ordinance Survey one inch map (1805) and three on Greenwood (1825).
The three mills were known as Long Sally, Little Jenny and Miss Bentley. Long Sally was the tall mill nearest to Mill House; it was struck by lightning some years before its demolition when one of the sails was set on fire. The mills remained active for some 80 years. Long Sally was demolished in 1893, Little Jenny in 1902 and Miss Bentley in 1906.